Daily Prompt : Mushroom
In response to prompt : Mushroom
When we were little kids we had a lot of wild mushrooms growing in our yard. We called them, ‘Frogs Umbrella,’ I know it’s a strange name for mushrooms. Our mom told us not to touch them for they’re poisonous she said.
One of my brothers’ wanted to experiment what will happen, if he ate one. My other siblings dared him to do so. I was not one of them, I was away in college.
I came home to spend my holidays with mom and my siblings. When I entered the house I noticed my brother with a mouth so swollen, it resembled a balloon.
I asked mom, ‘what’s wrong?’
‘It’s your crazy brother, he tried to eat the mushroom, even though I told him not to. It troubled me to see him with a swollen mouth, it was so bad he could not talk.
It took days to cure his condition.
When I saw mushrooms for sale in the supermarket, it reminded me of my brother. I was always afraid and could not understand why people in North America like it so much.
I needed a lot of courage to cook and eat it. but the fear remains in my heart about, mushroom!’
Thank you for sharing this interesting story about mushrooms. Some kinds are utterly harmless and considered very nutritious and a delicacy. Other kinds of mushrooms can be, however, very poisonous.
All good wishes,
Thank you. 🙂
Mushrooms can be poisonous. We also used to see them growing in the wild in Murree, but I was always afraid of them because I had read in books that they were poisonous. Much, much later, I started liking them when I could get them from reliable sources 🙂
Thank you, Khurram Sahib. 🙂
I have a fear of guavas. When I was about 11 or so, a guava seed got stuck in my tooth and that pain was unbearable!
Thank you, Sonya. I like guavas a lot.
Too bad you had that bad experience. 😦